Thursday, July 12, 2012

Monterey Bay Aquarium Part 2

Jellyfish are one of those creatures that are just kind of mesmerizing to watch. I'm not surprised the jelly experience was one of the most popular exhibits. Photographing jellyfish is a bit of a challenge though. The jellyfish room was all dark and had really weird lighting situations so photographing this exhibit was the most difficult. That being said, I think I still got some interesting shots.


I love how the colors turned out on this jelly. The blue background and the red/orange lighting on the jelly contrast each other nicely. The hyper blue background seems very "clean" to me.



This is the same kind of jelly but I think it looks very different the other side. There are actually two jellies in this picture. I liked how one had passed in front of the other and I could focus on the second jelly but still get some texture in the photo.



Is it terrible I think of cauliflower when I see this jelly? I think macro mode did a great job here as I don't remember these being all that when looking at them with the naked eye. I'll admit I'm a bit of a sucker for macro and those are some of the cheapest lenses. It's a little silly because I think insects and such are fun, but I'm a little afraid to get close to them!



Of course this is probably the coolest photo of the bunch. Doesn't remind you of space or aliens? And again the blue and orange/yellow combo just happened naturally. I think I also got lucky with the placement of the lacy bits that draw your eye across the photo. I think this is one of the few times I've gotten a picture that doesn't really follow the rule of thirds but still looks good. 



Is this guy upset to be included with the jellies or is he just a little camera shy? Seeing an octopus in real life is a little bizarre as they seem a lot baggier and stretchier than they did in my imagination. The most crowded exhibit, so I feel lucky to get a picture, even if this one isn't great.  Personally I think he looks a bit like he's telling all of us observers to "talk to the hand".


The next, and biggest update covering the seahorses should be up soon!

 In the meantime those of you on the email system remember you can't reply via email but feel free to comment on the blog at http://nikoncole.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. On photo number four: the "skirt" sort of reminds me of irises.

    ReplyDelete